Monday, November 5, 2012

Autumn

Larry's travel for work has taken a bit of a turn lately -- not to any of the mining properties but instead, to the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology in Rapid City, South Dakota -- the college he graduated from back in 1978.  "The Company" is utilizing it's employees who have graduated from the many mining related higher learning institutions to act as recruitment "tools" to entice future graduates to consider "The Company" as an employer once they graduate.  I couldn't pass up the opportunity to travel with him considering the destination!

So, while Larry met with SDSM&T representatives and future graduates, I was able to spend the day with Virginia! Yikes but the wind was a blowin'! 


























Larry and I then visited our special Aunt Co who was still in the hospital after a slow recovery from what seemed to be multiple health issues.  It was good to be able to see her and how far she has come in her recovery. 

The following day we headed for Harrison for a quick (very quick!) visit with Larry's mom.  The wind conditions had disappeared, thank goodness, which made for a very pleasant following morning spent doing yard work.  Notice all those leaves still on the trees - but at least we made a dent. 




































That evening, we visited friends John and Terry who had mutual friends Walt and Pam visiting from New Hampshire!  An incredibly pleasant evening spent reconnecting with these special people.  (l-r: Walt, Pam, John and seated, Terry!)


























We arrived in Harrison late afternoon on a Friday and were headed back to Rapid City to catch our flight late morning on Sunday.  I grabbed a photo of Larry and mom Dorothy before heading out.

























We returned to our very pleasant Arizona fall weather and a couple of deer hanging out in our "back yard."

























And my last photos are of a yucca in our front yard that is working on blooming.  I'm guessing that the stalk grows about a foot a week. 




































Below is my most recent picture of the growing process which was probably a week ago.  I have way too much time on my hands to be able to record the growth of this stalk....




































What is a shame though, is that this plant will die once it blooms -- a slow process but nonetheless, it'll die.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agave

Regarding a health update, I did go for a scan on Friday, October 26, and the report was that "disease remains stable."  I'll take that.  I remain in that darn boot!  Patience...patience I keep telling myself but jeez!, it has been since August.  Patience...patience....

No comments:

Post a Comment