Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Early November Update, Thanksgiving, Christmas

Okay, I'm way behind in blog updating.  I'd like to say it is because I've been so busy, but I don't think that is the case - lazy, lacking motivation, lazy?

Larry's job took us to Safford for a quick trip where I was able to meet up with my expat Calama neighbor Tracey.  We also enjoyed dinner with our Peruvian friends who are now the expats living in the U.S.!  I enjoy visiting with them, first because they are such nice people but also to quiz them on what their challenges are regarding living away from their home country.




Friend Michelle organized a potluck gathering at Papago Park in early November.  It was a beautiful Arizona day spent catching up before the hustle and bustle Thanksgiving and Christmas bring.
 (l-r: Jackie, Barb, me, Allison, Joan, Rita in middle front, Sue and Michelle)





And then it was Thanksgiving.  Friends Mike and Sue included us in their family gathering.




The day after Thanksgiving, Larry and I headed out on a road trip for a two-night stay in Monument Valley - about a five hour trip to northeastern Arizona but the trip took a bit longer because we actually stopped at some tourist sites along the way.

Below is a picture of the Wupatki National Monument ruins established in 1924.  The ruins date back to the 1100s.

 



Our next stop was at the Dinosaur Tracks near Tuba City.  We're told these tracks were formed in the early Jurassic period (around 200 million years ago) where several different types of dinosaurs are represented by their tracks - such the Arizona tourists we were that day!










 



Onward we headed for Monument Valley and The View hotel.  This short get-away vaca was relaxing.  Time spent at The View requires spending time on the balcony off of your room while enjoying the changing view of Monument Valley as the day progresses, time spent on an easy hike and time spent on the loop drive.  Time of year for the visit contributed as well - there was hardly anyone there and we came upon only one other couple on our hike. 






 


 
 

 
So, should your travels bring you to Arizona (NOT during the summer months) with time to explore, we recommend The View hotel and Monument Valley.

Early December took Larry to Chile on a 10-day business trip.  Sue and Allison helped me pass the time by coming up for a weekend of good food and a wine pairing, a movie or two and a walk.  They sure helped some of the time pass pleasantly.  I also attended a Boy Scout ceremony for nephew Jimmy who is one step away from becoming an Eagle Scout - he is 14.  What a great kid!  And is he getting tall or what!








































Todd and Michelle hosted an preChristmas early December gathering with friends.  Always fun...




























And then it was Christmas.  Brother Jim and wife Liz and nephew Jimmy came to our home on Christmas Eve for dinner to celebrate along with and our 57th birthday! 












 

























 
 
 
And then New Year's arrived.  Friends Mike and Sue and Michelle and Todd ventured our way to help us welcome 2013. 
 
 
Last, I must include a photo a neighbor shared with me of a bobcat spotted in the neighborhood.  I spotted him/her when taking out the garbage but didn't get as good a photo as the neighbor.



Well, I've met my first New Year's resolution - updating the blog!  Yea!
 
2013 brings about me starting a volunteer "job" at Mayo!  I'll begin "working" four hours a week (Thursdays) on January 17.  Quite the process to volunteer at Mayo: TB test, orientation and a computer class!  Something to do though - I'm thrilled.  I'll be "working" behind the scenes with office duties in internal medicine.
 
Regarding a health update: feeling fine, foot is much better but still a ways to go, and scheduled for another PET scan in late January which always provides the true picture of how I'm doing.  Because that there foot is feeling better, NO excuses for not walking.  Therefore, resolution #2 will be to start walking.  If I put it in the blog, does that then commit me to really doing it?  I'll keep you posted.
 
We enjoyed all the Christmas cards and letters and pictures (and birthday greetings!) allowing us to catch up somewhat on all of your lives.  Wishing you all the best in health and happiness in 2013!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Love the Bobcat on the wall! You look great. Love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pat! Wish I could take credit for the photo but at least I did see the critter! Glad you enjoy the blog. I do feel good (knock on wood). How are you two surviving your Alaska winter?

      Delete