Monday, August 25, 2014

The Tetons, Yellowstone, 40th High School Class Reunion, and South Dakota/Minnesota Road Trip

We were home for a short week and a half and it was time to leave on vacation again!  Our destination the first night was Monticello, UT.  Lovely little town and we stayed in a charming motel which included chairs out in front of the room allowing us to enjoy the pleasant temperature.

The following morning, we headed for Dinosaur National Monument near Vernal, Utah.  A quarry was established in 1915 providing a "window into late Jurassic-period dinosaurs." 

"Many fossils are embedded in a sloping rock formation that was once a sandbar on the edge of a large river. As the river carried animal carcasses downstream, many became stuck on the sandbar, which eventually turned to rock. As a result, fossils from hundreds of creatures are concentrated in a small area. Many fossilized bones have been partially exposed but left intact in the rock where they can be easily seen. A building was constructed over the area, which is now known as "The Quarry" at the monument."  Click the link below for more information and pictures - for whatever reason, I didn't take any pictures but it was a truly neat stop on our way to Yellowstone.

http://www.utah.com/nationalsites/dinosaur.htm

Day 3 took us by Grand Teton National Park on our way to Yellowstone which is easily described in one word - spectacular!






We traveled onto Yellowstone arriving just in time to watch Old Faithful!



 
 

















So, our trip to Yellowstone was very nice.  We loved the scenery, we loved the lodging - we didn't like the crowds.  Lots of people on the boardwalks and lots of cars and buses in the parking areas - it is a national park in July - did I really think we'd be the only ones there?

Nonetheless, we did enjoy our 2 1/2 days at Yellowstone and then enjoyed the drive east to Rapid City for an afternoon of golf with friends followed by a gathering involving more friends and food at friends Dan and Diane's home.

We had a short two nights in Harrison visiting Larry's mom Dorothy and then it was time to head to Chadron for my Chadron High School 40th Class Reunion - now that was fun!



The picture below is of friends who grew up across the street from me - we went to kindergarten through 8th grade together before they moved away.  Nice that they were able to participate in the reunion.  To the left is Joni and to the right is Jeanne - twins by the way!


This group below were all West Ward Elementary School classmates.




Once the reunion activities were over, Larry and I headed back to Harrison to collect Dorothy and headed onto Rapid City to deliver Larry to the airport so he could fly back home and work some more while Dorothy and I headed east. 

For awhile now, I've been wanting to travel to the Mitchell, SD, area to visit cemeteries where my mother's family members are buried.  My doctor released me from my appointment for July (the first time in three years that I haven't had a monthly doctor appointment!) allowing me to remain so Dorothy agreed to accompany me, and we would then drive on from there to eastern Minnesota to visit her 92 year-old sister.

I was successful in finding the graves of my grandparents, great-grandparents and great-great-grandparents!




We then headed for eastern Minnesota to visit Aunt Dee and were lucky enough to be there at the same time as Dorothy and Dee's brother Ron and his wife Lola were visiting.

 
Aunt Dee and me!



 
I love being in pictures with Aunt Lola and her sister Sally - I feel short!  (l-r: Aunt Lola, me, Sally and mother-in-law Dorothy in front.)



After a nice visit, Dorothy and I headed west.  It was good to be back in Harrison and done traveling.  I had another week back in northwest Nebraska before Larry returned allowing me to spend more time with good friend Virginia.



Larry returned and family members started arriving in Harrison.  Graveside service was to happen for nephew Todd.




 
We were tourists by Harrison.  (l-r: me, Dorothy, niece Sophi and Larry)



And then it was time for us to return to Arizona.  I had been gone for a little over 5 weeks!  We drove to Denver and met step-father Marvin and his wife Jennie for lunch and then headed on to Moab, UT, arriving home the following day.




 
More pretty scenery before this trip came to an end.  I love Monument Valley.



 
We had a great trip, enjoyed the variety of scenery we saw, all the friends we saw and family!  Larry continues to like his job and does some travel here in Arizona and New Mexico.  I continue to do well on the health front - life is good!
 


 
Next trip:  Havasupai


No comments:

Post a Comment